Friday, July 17, 2009

Getting Back to "Normal"

Being Friday, I'm working from home, so it is easy to slip down to the rehab barracks just after breakfast, and check in on our girl. Though she is still connected to one of those walk-around IV drip carts, at least she is mobile.

I found her in the gym, working on walking between the parallel bars. I helped the therapist by dragging the drip cart and wheelchair behind her as she inched her way along, about 15 feet in all. The therapist suggested I bring her some better shoes.

[Just as I was writing the above, the phone rang. It was a secretary at Dr. Heide's office. She told me that the doctor wanted her to get my permission to put a link on his web site (http://www.wacenterforhealth.com/neurologist.html) to this blog. (The link is now up. Click the "News" button to see it.) Gee, what an honor that he thinks this drivel of mine might be helpful to others coping with stroke. You may remember that in the post titled "Why Me, Why Not?" I suggested that it would be a shame to travel this road without leaving some help for others. In another post I mentioned that honor is a big deal to me. I'm feeling really honored right now. And when Bettie is able to comprehend how her trial is benefiting others, she will be honored too. Wow.]

Alright, back to earth here.

Bettie's little walk ended and I took her to her room to get ready for Liz, the speech therapist. I left at that point, but Liz later told me that she is seeing improvement in Bettie's comprehension and verbalization. That was good to hear from a professional, because I was just thinking that I'm not seeing much improvement here. Maybe I'm just too close to it.

I returned at lunch and found her just polishing off the other half of the Trader Joe's yogurt I brought her yesterday. In fact, because she did that plus drank some green protein drink (also from TJ's) that I brought her, the nurse agreed to disconnect the IV drip. (The drip was just to be sure she was getting enough liquid, and now it appears that she is.)

Following lunch, I left her with the physical therapist who was planning to take her for another walk. Since I did bring the better shoes, it should go better for her. Later in the day, she had more occupational therapy, and I think maybe a shower.

Dinner time found her pretty tired, but she was able to enjoy some more Apricot-Mango yogurt from Trader Joes, which I think is preferable to hospital Jello. I hope she agrees...I ordered a case of it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment