Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Day to Recover

Yea, I know, 5 p.m. is kind of early to be checking out for the evening, but it is by request ... hers.

I figured she would be pretty much be back awake from this morning's anesthetic by 4 p.m. when I showed up...and she was. Well, sort of. We could talk like we usually do, but she is still on IV drips from bags of liquid with long, unpronounceable names on them. She can't eat until breakfast, and mostly wanted to doze. After an hour of holding her hand and small talk, she said "I go home now". "You want me to go home now?" I countered. She nodded, "Yea". So that was it. I promised to see her at lunch.

(Visiting should be fine [and encouraged] tomorrow, Thursday, and thereafter.)

The only other thing of note is the issue of legal competence. This morning I asked Melody, the social worker who handles this sort of thing, to look into the possibility of getting official power of attorney. This would be good to have in case the need arises to sign legal or financial papers or something. Melody brought it up at an afternoon staff meeting and the consensus of all parties was that, for now at least, she can't. Well, here's what I got in letter form from Dr. Sultana:
"Mrs. Aitkins has suffered a stroke with, among other things, cognitive and communicative deficits that prevent her from making medical or financial decisions."
This was not a big shock or surprise, (and it is certainly not the final, all-time verdict). But when I see it in writing, it has a similar feel to what I imagine a foreclosure notice on the front door would.

Tonight, I'm just going to think about something else.

2 comments:

  1. Just a note, Dick, to say again how informative your posts are. I'm sure there are many who are following along even though you don't always get a reply/comment. We are still praying for recovery and look forward to your updates on a daily basis.

    Brother Jim

    (Not sure what happened to "Grandpa Jim". Option not here this time.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the "many" you mention numbers from 25 to 30, on any given day. Steve set me up with a report that provides a daily count...so big brothr is watching.

    ReplyDelete