Saturday, July 4, 2009

One Armed Welding...Sorry, Dressing

Happy birthday America!

Bettie continues to make progress, now that she is a resident in the Acute Rehab Center in Auburn. Feeding herself is now pretty much routine. I arrived just as she finished breakfast today and so I wheeled her to her room. (For now, propelling a wheelchair is beyond her capabilities because of the right arm.)

After mere moments, her occupational therapist arrived for a session. (When I first heard the term 'Occupational Therapy' I was thinking: "What...are they going to teach her to weld, or something?). Occupational therapy means re-learning the skills necessary for independence, such as dressing, toilet, etc.

Today's lesson was dressing. I only stayed long enough to observe as she, completely on her own, removed her hospital gown and put on a pull-over short sleeve top. (Just before I left her this evening, I had her reverse the process...take off the top and put on the gown. Other than tying the back string ties, which I did for her, she performed both operations completely.)

Now, before you think: "So, what's the big deal?" try it yourself. Hang your good arm at your side and put on a "T" shirt, then take it off. I'm very impressed with her.

Besides giving her a sense of independence (appropriate for today, huh?), she is demonstrating that she does not appear to have any thinking impairment. If you could watch her perform these operations, you would see what I mean. She thinks through the whole process first, then begins methodically following the plan. Some steps require positioning the right arm first, which, if necessary she does by simply picking it up with her left hand and placing it where in needs to be. When she finished, I applauded. (Honey, if you really want to take up welding, you just go for it!)

-------------------

I stopped in after church services today, but she was napping and I didn't disturb her then.

Returning at 5 p.m., we had a nice visit, then got ready for bed. During our visit, I noted some of the fruits of her speech therapy. Most of her speaking up until now has been either clearly mouthing the words (making reading her lips fairly easy) or whispering. For the first time for me, she spoke up in a real voice every time I put my hand behind my ear and said "louder" or "speak up".

Visiting her so often probably makes the progress seem a little slower that it would if I only came twice a week, but the frequent contact is bearing other fruit, I'm sure. Besides, if I only saw her twice a week, I'd be a candidate for therapy.

1 comment:

  1. We finally managed to connect with your Blog. We are so happy to see Bettie's wonderful progress. We will continue to pray....daily.

    We love you all and look forward to the next update.

    John, Doris, Gina, Rawlie and kids.

    ReplyDelete