Thursday, July 9, 2009

Me: Feeling Better - Her: Doing Better

Yesterday I was whining about not being able to see much progress, especially in her communication. Today, her communication is the progress that is most apparent.

I have to say, I'm feeling somewhat better than I was a day ago. Yes, this is kind of a roller-coaster ride with the emotions as we navigate along. But that's part of the challenge you get with recovery from a major stroke. It's like Forrest Gump's momma said about life: "... It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

In the morning post on June 28th, I quoted the doctor's best guess with regard to communication: "She will have difficulty communicating, but family will eventually get acquainted with her expressions and cope fairly well." Either that is what is happening with me, or she is comprehending more, or some of both. Probably the latter.

It just seems like she understands so much and is coping so well. For example:
  • I say: "Take off the brake." and without hesitation, she reaches down and releases the wheelchair brake.
  • While brushing her teeth, I tell her to remove her partial (she has a few missing molars, but the space is filled with a removable partial plate). At first she objects, but I explain that she needs to do it to be clean. My logic seems to win her over, and she relents.
  • She starts a lot of her instructions to me with "Hon" or "Honey". Just like, well, like before.

There are getting to be a lot of these interactions that just seem more-or-less natural. Though there may be some nonsense in some of her conversation, we are communicating. Well maybe we are "communicating" in quotes. (According to the English majors, when you introduce a new meaning for an old word, you put it in quotes.)

Now this last item: But -- you have to promise not to tell the head nurse.
While helping Bettie from her wheelchair into her bed near the end of the evening visit, we kinda lingered between the chair and the bed for, well um, considerably longer than that quick little pirouette is supposed to take. OK, we hugged. So what are you goning to do about it?

Hmmm, maybe that's why I feel better.

1 comment:

  1. "A merry heart doeth good like medicine." What could make a heart merrier than a hug from the guy you love?

    ReplyDelete