Saturday, July 25, 2009

"Stroke Humor" and Progress, Progress

Oh dear, terrible news: the stroke seems to be affecting Bettie's vision. This morning she said to me: "You look really nice today." Sorry, a little stroke humor there.

I was dressed for Sabbath services, with a tie, etc. She must have thought I was a doctor...she always responds nicely to doctors.

Anyway, she had another pretty good day. The weather being very warm lately, we went outside after both lunch and dinner. Both times I said: "We're going to go by our car, and when we do, I want you to point it out to me." I'm going to have to think up more difficult tests for her. She aced this one both times without hesitation.

One time in her room, while I was dumping out some wilted flowers, I turned around just in time to see her get out of the wheelchair and onto the bed, unassisted. This is getting common now. Also getting more common are her attempts to use her right hand, even without my urging (which I am constantly doing anyway). Today she unfolded the towelette that comes for clean-up with each meal tray, using both hands. She also removed a Kleenex from the box, right-handed, and actuated her right side wheelchair brake, both off and on, with it.

We saw and talked with Dr. Sultana for a bit after lunch. He says my prediction that she could be eating right-handed within a month is realistic. Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment