Friday, July 31, 2009

Husband = Caregiver

Today was Bettie's first full day at home. What a relief to have her back. No more three trips-a-day to the hospital. It was also the first day of my transition from husband to caregiver.

Actually, that's not true. I'm still her husband, but I'm also her caregiver. Well, one of her caregivers. From my perspective now, I can see that husband and caregiver are very similar in many ways ... at least I think they should be. I should have been more of a caregiver all along; then this transition would be easier.

Anyway, the fact that this Thursday status is not being published until Friday morning should give you an idea of the difference between being at home and at the hospital. Silly me, I though that now that she is at home, I'll have more time since I won't be driving back and forth to the the hospital three times a day...wrong! I'm not complaining, mind you, just being realistic here. I am very blessed to have live-in family, so we're able to manage quite well...at least we will as we get used to the new requirements.

I think this will be the last of the daily "Status" posts that I'll be doing. From here on, in addition to the occasional "thoughts" kind of post, I'll be doing one post per week titled something like: "At Home: Aug 1 - 7". I'll add to it through the week as there is opportunity and something of significance to report.

(Note: I later decided to change the blog format as detailed in: A New Look For The Blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment