Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It Isn't Rocket Science...or is it?

Today we are finishing one month since the stroke occurred on June 23rd. This probably calls for some profound introspection, a review of lessons learned, and all that sort of thing. Perhaps I can do that tomorrow, time permitting.

This week, time is kind of at a premium for me because Tim and Veronica and children are away from the house on a much-deserved camping vacation. So in addition to the usual two or three daily trips to AMC (Auburn Regional Medical Center) to visit Bettie, I have to care for myself, the yard, garden, berries, fruit trees, etc. And, it is the middle of my work week at iShip too. Poor me.

Bettie had another productive day with lots of walking, stair climbing, and other physical stuff. She works really hard at it too. Today I observed that her walking was noticeably faster than just yesterday.

I'm feeling pretty good about her physical progress, more so than her speech comprehension.

Strokes are so capricious in nature. Bettie can say some things exactly like she used to, and then the next sentence is just all a jumble, but spoken with straight-faced earnestness as if she was explaining a new propulsion theory to a rocket scientist.

I spent nearly three hours at lunch and beyond with her. Joining us was my daughter Kim and and old friend of mine from a couple of previous work places, Laurie Napa. Late in the day I had to take son Jim to the airport, so I missed her dinner, but I got to spend a few minutes with her at 6p.m. We discussed more of those rocket science explanations.

No comments:

Post a Comment