Monday, July 20, 2009

Long Walks and a Check-Out Date

Just after breakfast this morning, Bettie went for her longest walk to date: 55 feet. After a brief rest, she did another 30 feet. Then a little stair climbing. For the walking she is using a half-walker, a stand alone support for just her "good" left hand. The therapist has hold of a belt around her middle, but is not supporting her at all. In time, I expect her to be walking nearly normally. I wish I knew what the "in time" was, but I suspect it is six months or so.

Meanwhile, the right arm and hand are also making excellent progress. After lunch, Dr. Sultana was in to see her. (Somehow, he is always able to get her to do more than I can.) She showed some very promising finger movements and the arm itself is moving almost at will now. I have noticed that she has started trying to do two-handed things by pushing an object against the right hand while trying to manipulate whatever it is with her left. Things like tearing open a paper straw cover for instance.

When I came back for dinner, Deb, her welding instructor (occupational therapist) showed me a squeeze toy they use. Bettie took it in her right hand and squeezed it, making it inflate. Remember, the first week or two, this hand was paralyzed.

The final big news item for today is her discharge date. The staff had a meeting today and, because of the gall bladder issue last week, they were able to negotiate (with the insurance provider) an extension of her time in rehab of one week. The planned discharge is July 29, just over a week from now. From my perspective, while I want her home, it is best if she spends as much time as possible in physical rehab so she gets the professional workouts every day to make maximum progress.

The final, final, big news item is she did not have tomato soup for dinner. It was a regular meal of green beans, chicken, and potato with gravy. She ate everything but a couple of bites of the potato. Plus she finished her Trader Joe's yogurt, that I see to it that she gets with every meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment