Thursday, July 2, 2009

Daily Life in Auburn Acute Rehab

Bettie was in bed the entire visit, having finished her dinner before I arrived. So now, going forward, I'll start reporting on the things that are not getting better, as most everything is. For example, she shook Dr. Heide's hand with her right hand today. It's like, 'No big deal'.

Now that she is close to home -- it is about 15 minutes to drive there and another five minutes to park and get up to her room -- it's much better for everyone. (At Highline, it was about 35 for the entire trip, one way.)

This makes a huge difference to family from two perspectives: One is simply the logistics. It is not hard to just run down there when the mood strikes, as opposed to planning a "trip".

The other is how much less a burden it is to leave her. To family it just seems like: "I'll be right back, just going to run home for a little bit." It is just, I don't know, lighter somehow. We no longer feel like we're leaving her way over in some other city. (This is no reflection on the care she was given at Highline. I've already praised that. Just the distance and perception in our minds.)

Now, about visiting. As I told Bettie, "You are in school". The good news about visiting is that you can come any time between around 8:00 in the morning to 8:00 in the evening. The bad news is that three or more of those hours she will have a "teacher" (therapist) with her, so you will do more watching than visiting.

Therapy sessions are usually 45 minutes to an hour and have a little free time on either side between them. More often than not they are midway between meals.

But, watching her therapy is a good thing, because it shows you things you can be helping her with during your visits (please). Bottom line: come anytime ... please. Every time you come, you will see more of the "new" Bettie. Speaking of the new Bettie, she looked totally fetching in her new jammies Deana. So thank you very much.

I think that from now on, I'll report her status at the end of each day, rather than twice a day. I totally enjoy writing up these reports, but it is time consuming and I've got banisters to put up and other stuff to do. After all, she will be home before we know it and I've got to be ready.

Before I close for the day, I'd like to report on a gift I received today from a bunch of very special guys that I hang out with every Wednesday evening, pretty much year around. They are the Northwest Sound Men's Chorus.

As I write, they are in Anaheim, Calif., preparing to compete for the title of International Chorus Champion of the Barbershop Harmony Society, which takes place tomorrow evening. I would have been with them, had the stroke not happened.

What they gave me brought to mind the Mastercard commercial: "Priceless". The entire chorus called me on the phone and sang me a song, then they all shouted "Hi Dick".

It was wonderful. I thanked them and then said: "A loving God would not let you win without me on the risers with you. But second place is not bad." :)

I'll be watching on the internet tomorrow, and singing along.

No comments:

Post a Comment