Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

So much for my medical credentials indeed. Yesterday I opined that Bettie's tummy upset was probably due to the fact that she has not been taking HCL with her meals. That may be a contributing factor to the real problem ... or maybe not. But the real issue, confirmed by the scan last evening, is a rather badly infected gall bladder. So much so, that is has to come out...right away.

I arrived at the rehab ward to find Dr. Sultana conferring with an internist, Dr. Spens. As I walked by, he says: "We were just talking about you." I'm thinking: "Gee, do I look that bad?" "Let's go into my office" he says.

For the next 10 to 15 minutes the two doctors outlined the situation: The gall bladder is infected, probably from a stone, stuck in it or the duct. Contributing factors might be not eating enough, not enough physical activity lately, or who knows what. Anyway, antibiotics are not a solution in its present condition. It needs to be removed. They outline the risks (they do that for every procedure) and the rewards. It's a no-brainer, though I asked a lot of smart sounding (naturally :) questions. Because of her atrial fibrillation, they need to stabilize her blood without the thinner they have been using, so the surgery will be at 10 a.m. tomorrow. I'll be there.

When we came out of the office, I found Bettie racing up and down the hall in her wheelchair, physical therapist jogging along side. Actually, she was making pretty good time, doing "sit-walking", with the foot rests removed. I was pleased to see the right leg taking steps almost as big as the left. Her session ended in a few minutes and I took Speed Racer to her room, where she wanted to lie down to rest.

I told her the news and just what to expect. She took it quite well, though I don't know how thoroughly she understood.

Just as I wrote the last paragraph above, the phone rang. It was Dr. Spens, informing me that after further examination of the scans from last evening, she (the doctor) thinks it might be better to hold off on the gall bladder removal surgery and just insert a drain instead, provided that can be done with no complications. Then in four to six weeks, do the surgery. This puts her at less risk overall.

I'll probably have more to report this evening. For now, tomorrow is probably not a good day to plan to visit, while this is being sorted out.

No comments:

Post a Comment