Friday, July 31, 2009

Can't Keep Her Down

She wanted to go back to our bedroom after breakfast this morning. She lay on the bed and I told her: "Now I'm going downstairs for a little bit, so don't move, OK? Well, you can go to the bathroom, you know how to do that, but otherwise, don't get up." She nodded agreement.

I was back to check in on her in no more than ten minutes. When I came in the bedroom, I noticed her purse in the entrance hall, between our two closets. "That's funny" I thought, "I don't remember getting that out." In the bedroom proper, there I found her, trying to get her slacks snapped with one hand. She was fully dressed in a light blue top and nicely contrasting navy slacks. She had her knee-highs out from the dresser where she keeps them. She was standing by the bed, the full-length mu mu that I had put on her earlier was laying aside. All this in about 10 minutes. "Oh you naughty girl" I laughed and she fell back on the bed laughing too. What am I to do with this one? Ya can't keep her down.

Later, she was sitting on the edge of the bed and suddenly looked down at a small stack of books that I had left, just as she left them the day this happened. There she saw, peeking out from the stack, a book about heart disease that she had checked out from the library . She exclaimed: "Oh, I forgot". She pulled the book out, and sure enough, it was over-due. (When I returned the book later in the morning I told the librarian the story and ended with: "...so I'm happy to pay the fine". The librarian concurred that it was cause for celebration, given the circumstances, then added: "That will be $3.75 please.")

Later in the morning we (Bettie and I) left for two appointments. The first was to her long-time hair-dressers Yahow & Betsy Lam at Yahow Hair Salon. Bettie has been going there for a long time and they do great work. They turned her from a Medusa look-alike to the glamorous gal we all know. Thanks Yahow.

Then we headed to an appointment with every one's favorite stroke doctor, Dr. Aaron Heide. The visit is documented in a separate post.

No comments:

Post a Comment