Saturday, July 11, 2009

Something Amiss in the Tummy?

Arriving at breakfast, I found Bettie kind of hunched over, and complaining (apparently) of a stomach ache. She had eaten some oatmeal, but very little else. I returned her to her room and bed to recover, which she eventually did.

In her room, nurse Melamie talked with me about helping to get her food service more like "home". I appreciated her concern and think she will go to bat for Bettie with the kitchen. (Bettie is pretty much an all natural, organic, whole grain, fruit, and vegetable kind of girl. Whereas hospital dietitians, I suspect, are products of the commercial food processing/refining school of thought.) We'll get this sorted out and she should do better with her diet.

Today, after services, I had the opportunity to spend some time with old friends for a complete change of pace, culminating in a lovely dinner out. My granddaughter Jordan accompanied me. She and I arrived back at the Rehab Center just after 7 p.m., but Bettie was still awake.

I had told Bettie this morning that I would be out for the afternoon but would see her at bedtime, but I 'm not sure if she understood -- not sure how her memory is. She seemed fine with my long absence between visits today. But she actually seemed better with my longer absence than I felt about it. I think I felt guilty. At dinner I kept thinking: "Maybe I shouldn't be doing this". But no, I know that I need the occasional break. And that's what good friends are for, isn't it?

Jordan and I found her in good spirits...better than this morning. From Bettie's description of the issue at breakfast, it was traumatic to her, though once again she couldn't find quite the right words to explain it exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment