Sunday, June 28, 2009

Honoring Bettie

Honor is kind of a big deal to me. It is to Bettie too, though we express it in different ways. The diminishing of the importance of honor in society is something we frequently lament in conversations together. Well, we did until this.

As society moves to a more casual approach to almost everything, I suppose our attempt to be honoring to others may make us look more and more out of step. For example: If Bettie and I dress up for a performance (to honor the performers) -- or most any time we leave the house -- and even the performers don't take notice, or, worse yet, they think we look funny or perhaps overdressed, have we been honoring? I wonder.

Nevertheless, we will continue our "outdated" or "old fashioned" ways. Honor may be old fashioned but it's never out of style.

I talked about honoring Bettie to family the other day: "Let's try to keep the kitchen looking as grandma would have it," was what I said to the grandchildren. Little stuff like that becomes even more important now I think. It keeps her presence real, though it isn't reality, for now. I find myself being more careful about the little things that are important to her, more careful than just last week even.

This shows the value of her uncompromising standards. They linger in her absence...and make us all better. What a woman!

4 comments:

  1. I believe it is honoring to her to continue to communicate with her as a whole person who comprehends what is happening around her and the communications to her. I believe it is far more this than the "confusion in, confusion out" that Dr. Heide describes. I found that she was so much more responsive to me when I acknowlwdged that she could understand me, and how frustrating it is for her not to be able to express herself the way she wants. I believe she appreciated the encouragement that someone understood that and hearing that she is, indeed getting better every day, even though her body isn't doing what she would want it to do yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Uncle Dick. I've been telling everyone how sweet your and Bettie's love story is, and how it needs to be told. I guess this is one way to share it, but I still think it deserves a larger audience some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right Shana.
    One thing I can do is post the 18-minute movie I made for their 50th Anniversary when I get back to San Francisco so everyone can see it. It details how they met and fell in love. The movie is funny and romantic ... like them.
    --Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please do, Steve! I meant to watch the dvd at my dad's last weekend, but I guess we got busy and forgot.

    ReplyDelete