Saturday, June 27, 2009

Many Visitors - Few Changes...Yet

When I arrived at 1:40 p.m. she was as awake and alert as she has been all week. Our sons Steve, Jim, and Tim were there, plus Tim's son Johnny. A little later, our daughter Kim arrived, so we had four out of five ... and then Rick called from Las Vegas, so that left just Veronica and Jordan (Tim's wife and daughter who were both there earlier today) for a full house.

When Bettie is awake like this she looks just completely natural, as if she might pop up and say "Hey, why don't we all go bowling or something". But she doesn't. She can't.

I guess it's a little much to expect 100 percent improvement every day. At that rate she would be home in a week. (Yikes, we'd better wash up the dishes, just in case that happens. :) This slow improvement is trying. But hey, it's improvement!

Once again, I missed Dr. Heide's visit, but some of the boys were there. He says she's not out of the woods yet on several issues: blood thinner is one and feeding tubes is another. These will require some decisions soon.

Verbally, she is about the same. She will occasionally volunteer comments that are coherent. For example, yesterday when Deana arrived for a visit, she gave a resigned shrug and look and said "Heart Attack". Of course she had a stroke, not a heart attack, but it said she knew she was in the hospital for something ... and she does have a heart condition (atrial fibrillation) which likely contributed to the stroke. So it shows some thought process going on there.

Still getting movement with the right leg and maybe the right arm too, though it is definitely behind the leg in progress.

I'm thinking that she is using facial expression more than normal as a means of communication. The expressions are pronounced and very cute, though often not appropriate to anything going on or being said around her. For example, she will show mock surprise or mock exasperation at comments. To me it's saying "I'm not sure what you said, but I heard you and I want you to know that I'm here".

In summary, not much change from yesterday; but not going backward either.

2 comments:

  1. Uncle Dick,

    Praying and reading everyday.

    -Todd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, I forgot to tell you this evening that in part of my conversation with mom this afternoon - I think it was one of the times we were talking about 'time' - I asked her if it was time to go home. She got one of her funny faces and then said 'yeah'. I asked her if she was ready to be 'the mom' again and she nodded and said 'yes'. She's in there and I believe she's comprehending more than the doc is giving her credit for. That's just me.

    ReplyDelete