Friday, June 26, 2009

The Doctor's Amazed - The Husband's in Love

I'm a little early with this post this evening, as Bettie went to sleep on us and there seemed to be little reason to stay.

She had a very active day, and a good one! Though I was not able to make contact with Dr. Heide, he was there and, to quote Deana Walker who was visiting at the same time, "he was amazed".

The doctor said she has made 100 percent improvement over yesterday. Her brain swelling is in check and no medication was necessary for that condition. It should be going down over the next few days. Doctor says the clot is diminishing and, all in all, he is very encouraged when comparing today with his initial contact with her on Tuesday.

Besides Deana, her daughter Lisa, and Ruth & Rich Medved were there, plus my son Tim. She was awake for over an hour at a time and very animated. When I arrived at 5 o'clock, she was as wide awake as I have seen her this week. Tim said she moved her upper right arm several inches by herself this afternoon.

As we move forward the two big things we will be watching for are: movement in her right hand and arm, and meaningful voluntary speech. We are seeing a little of the latter. For example, this morning Steve was trying to remove a restraining cuff from her left wrist and she said, "Stop it!" -- which we were very happy about. We'd like to see her come up with more things like that on her own.

While the progress in the last 24 hours has been highly encouraging, we have quite a ways to go before the Bettie we knew is back.

However something interesting is happening to me as I watch her develop: She is different in a way that is very attractive to me. It's like I've been given permission to begin seeing a new woman. Not a clandestine affair kind of thing, but out in the open OK. Seems very strange and wonderful at the same time. I'm falling in love with a new woman. Whether the old Bettie comes fully back or I get this new blosoming one, I come out a winner. How blessed I am!

2 comments:

  1. Dick, I have been so greatly informed from your blog and I don't just mean the frequent and detailed reports of Bettie's state of recovery. I also mean your personal transparency of yourself as you move through this unfortunate occurence. You're creating some value for others to receive other than the news of Bettie's progress. Hats off to you for that. It only gives more testimony to the kind of person you are, and reported to be, by your family, most recently at your 50th wedding anniversary.

    We will continue to pray for more good reports for Bettie's health. And the future chapters of your lives together will be exciting to witness, no doubt. Thanks so much for these posts.

    God Bless both of you.

    Brother Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is funny: I didn't know anyone with the ID "Gradpa Jim". Then he signs it at the bottom "Brother Jim". So I'm thinking: "Hmm, Brother Jim...where did we go to church where everyone called each other Brother? Hmm. Oh well, I'll probably hear from a lot of people I don't know." Later I realized it was my own brother, Jim. well duh!!

    Thanks Jim, from brother Dick

    ReplyDelete