Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Look: I Can Move My Hand

Message to Dr. Heide: "Last night you used the word "Humongous" to describe the movement of one of Bettie's right hand fingers about a quarter of an inch. Please let me know what word to use to describe this:

My older brother Bruce and his wife Parvin are visiting this morning. When it is time to leave, he extends his had to Bettie to shake "Goodbye". She lifts the (paralyzed) right hand to his and he shakes it.

From your vocabulary of big doctor words, come up with one for that, if you can.

So that was how my morning with Bettie ended. It began with me arriving at 9 a.m. and feeding her breakfast for the next hour and ten minutes. She did just fine with everything. We took our time and she ate well, probably about as much as she would at home. This is good because she is keeping her calorie intake up, which develops her strength and healing. (Hmm, what did they put in that breakfast food? :)

During breakfast we took a little break for some speech therapy. It was while she was occupied with the therapist that I first noticed some finger movement on the right side ... a couple of times I thought I detected something.

Later, Bettie's case worker came in and we discussed where she would go next and what to expect there. The consensus was the rehab center at Auburn Medical Center, four floors above where she lay in the ER, exactly one week ago today.

On my way home from Highline Hospital, I stopped in at Auburn Medical Center and had a complete tour by the lead rehab physician, Dr. Sultana. I'm sure that is the place for her, and it is a mere 12 minutes away from home. I described Bettie's latest achievement and he agreed it was, "(insert Dr. Heide's big word here)".

He also said, the more stuff that comes back and the sooner it comes back, the better the long-term prognosis.

I've got to say this is really, really ___________________.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, let's have a dinner party!!
    Deana and I will try to make it tomorrow for lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... ginormous? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...God's work due to so many prayers!"

    ReplyDelete