Monday, November 9, 2009

Where Else but America?

While I've traveled the world a fair amount and visited other cultures, I have only lived in America. Therefore, my opinion is decidedly non-objective...but for my money, this is the place to endure a trial, if that is what fate brings you. I am so blessed to live among the most generous, loving, and supportive people on the planet. Where do I start, to acknowledge the overflow that has engulfed me?
  • The pastor where I attend services each week called the other day. What's so special about that? He either stayed up very late at night or got up in the wee hours to do it...he's in Israel, leading a tour. That was very special.
  • Speaking of churches, people from where we used to go, call, send cards, visit and bring food by.
  • Not to be out done, a woman in our congregation had a florist deliver a bouquet to Bettie on Sabbath...just to make the day special. That was her third or fourth flower arrangement since August.
  • My daughter Kim came down from Arlington yesterday, especially to give "Mom" a loving pedicure. She stayed today and is now giving her a manicure.
  • The Hospice care team from St. Joseph hospital (Tacoma) have begun coming and are providing a basket full of services. Practically anything we need in the way of equipment, supplies, or services, they provide. And they do it with dignity and class, really.
  • My brothers in Northwest Sound Men's Chorus are supporting me like you wouldn't believe. Just today I got a long, wonderful note from one of them. It said in part: "...I wish you the strength to get through these times as best you are able. I have read the recent posts on your blog. Thank you for sharing that with so many. It has helped more people than you can imagine. It’s not just been an exercise to help you get through this or to inform your close friends. It has been a ministry and I respect you so much for sharing in times like these. I am praying for you and your family. I hope you will come to chorus when you are ready and give us a chance to show you our love and support. We all love you, Dick."
  • My younger brother (Grandpa Jim) and my niece (Linda) came by Saturday afternoon and had a long and supportive visit.
  • Our primary care doctor (Dr. Schumer) will be making a house call this week. What kind of doctor does that anymore?
  • Read the comments that have been made to recent posts and you'll see more of what I'm getting.
I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Our great country is founded on a value system that makes people like these. People that rush to aid the imperiled, bind up the wounded, and comfort the suffering. We should thank God for these values, they make us all better...and when needed, they heal us.

2 comments:

  1. Bettie and Dick....as always, we are upholding all of you in prayer. We have a great God who can deliver His healing power.

    How is Bettie doing and how is she feeling? Is she in much pain?

    I continue to keep her Classmates up dated and many are praying for her.

    I do appreciate your blog.
    Love and blessings...
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless America and God Bless Dick and Bettie and their entire family. You guys are ALL an inspiration to everyone who comes here to your blog. What a great example you all are...every one of you.

    (brother) Jim

    ReplyDelete