Wednesday, November 4, 2009

On Saying 'Goodbye' 2

If you have been following this blog for some time, you may remember the post from August 27th titled "On Saying 'Goodbye' ". All of what I said there applies today...except this time, I am so very sorry to say, it is becoming a reality.

We had our visit with the oncologist this morning and he gave a long name to the type of lymphoma Bettie has. I don't remember the name...just the prognosis: "She has weeks. She is already in late stage 3 (of 4 stages) of a very aggresive type," Dr. Keech told us. "We'll make her comfortable and get hospice care to give you a hand."

It was the same feeling I had on Friday when Dr. Stephan sort of pre-conditioned me to this possibility with the news that it was lymphoma, but of unknown (at the time) type. Pre-conditioned or not, it is still a feeling like no other.

I've told our children. Dr. Keech gave Bettie the news. "This is what I'm paid for", he told me, so I let him go ahead. She took it calmly. I'm not sure she fully 'got it' at the time. But we've talked since, and we're both OK.

As I was bringing Bettie into the house, at noon, I was thinking "this may be the last time she ever rides in the car, the last time up the steps", etc., etc. I quickly realized that I could drive myself nuts with the sad thoughts. There's just no point in that. So, if you see me or talk to me, I'm not going to be someone you have to tiptoe around. I know I'm supported. Just treat me normal, and I'll try to be upbeat. After all, I've had 50 years with Bettie. Hard to top that!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Uncle Dick, I am so sad for you and your family right now. I am crying with you.

    Two positive things come to my mind right away. First, that you know where she is going. There is peace in that. Second, that you have this "advance notice" (sorry for lack of a better term) so that you can take this time to say the things you want to.

    There is a blog I have been reading lately, from a young man who recently lost his wife from breast cancer, a few days after she gave birth to their baby. His faith and strength through it all is overwhelming. If you are ever in the mood to read it, I'm sure it would be encouraging to you (it has been to me). http://bandssullivan.blogspot.com/

    We love you all. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

    Shana

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so very sorry about hearing this devastating news...we pray for all of your comfort and the "peace that passeth all understanding through Jesus Christ our Lord".

    We love you all and you will in our thoughts and prayers moment by moment.

    John & Doris, Rawlie & Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not even sure what to say, except this is NOT what I was praying for. I'll call you, Dick.

    (Brother) Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Word can not express how sad I feel. I have been hibernating in my apartment since I learned. I am hoping and praying for a miracle. I am praying also that God will give you and your family the strength you need in the coming weeks. Bettie is lucky to have such a loving family. And, Dick, as you said you have had fifty years with Bettie. Know that you are in a lot of folks thoughts and prayers.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Dick, and the entire Aitkins family...

    We are so sad to hear of the news and know the coming weeks will be very difficult on the entire family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.


    A Bible verse that is close to my heart is:

    Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways acknowledge Him,
    and He will make your paths straight.

    Proverbs 3:5-6


    Our prayers to Bettie so that she is made comfortable and serene...

    Prayerfully,

    Vivien Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bettie and Dick....as always, we are upholding all of you in prayer. We have a great God who can deliver His healing power.

    How is Bettie doing and how is she feeling? Is she in much pain?

    I continue to keep her Classmates up dated and many are praying for her.

    I do appreciate your blog.
    Love and blessings...
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete