Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Since You Asked...

Here are some of the details that people have been asking about.

Bettie's Condition:

  • She is still able to get up, and, with assistance (and her walker), make her way to the bathroom and back.
  • Her communication is pretty much unchanged, that is, she seems to understand most or all of what is said to her and can usually make appropriate simple responses. She almost never expresses her desires or comments with the right words, so it is often a guessing game to determine her intent.
  • She is in her own bed, other than bathroom visits, all the time. We can get a hospital bed from the hospice care people, but have not found the need to, so far. At this point, it seems doubtful she will be going anywhere else, even downstairs to the family room.
  • Her pain is managed by a 3-day patch of Fentanyl, plus Oxycodone when needed. All her pain seems to be abdominal, in the area where the biopsy was performed two weeks ago.
  • She has a diminishing appetite, but is able to eat something at each meal time. We try to give her what ever she might enjoy, often breaking her natural-and-organic-only rules, from before this happened. Her weight a week ago was 96.6 lbs, up slightly from a couple of weeks before. (Before the stroke, June 23rd, she was 123 lbs.)
  • She sleeps well...maybe too well. Pain medication make one sleepy, so this it to be expected.
  • She does pretty well with visitors. With hospice care people in several times a week, family, and friends, she has had a fair number of callers. She is able to engage everyone with at least a weak "Hi", though she may fall asleep at some point in a visit.
  • Occasionally she will sit up a little so as to view a recent addition to our bedroom, a large plasma television. She can enjoy a movie or favorite show, sometimes even staying awake to the end. Most of the time it displays a continuous aquarium scene that is quite soothing, with soft background music.
  • And, yes, she can still make funny faces...on occasion. I love that.

How am I doing:

  • As mentioned earlier, this is a shocking change in my life. In the months after the stroke but before the diagnosis, there was time to seriously consider the things that could come next, but it was still traumatic to actually experience it. Nevertheless, this is not new ground I'm breaking here. This kind of thing happens to people all the time. I imagine all of you blog readers have had to deal with equally sad situations. I don't know...we just do it, don't we? All in all, I'm doing OK.
  • Health wise, I just today finished all the followup visits after my two days in the hospital scare a month ago (see Oh No, Back in the Hospital). Apparently most of the stroke-like symptoms I exhibited came from some slight interference in my neck where a little arthritis has narrowed the clearance for the spinal cord. Heart is in great shape, and nothing much to be concerned with otherwise. Just don't play tackle football or run with scissors...that kind of stuff.

Am I still working, and singing:

  • My employer, iShip Inc., as been particularily wonderful during this time. I am able to spend all the time I need and want with Bettie. I do still go into the office as I'm able and I can work from home for most of the things I do too. There is more detail about my work in the post from June 30th, titled And Now, a Word From Our Sponsor.
  • Last Wednesday was the day we saw the oncologist. It did not seem appropriate to go singing that evening, though it was regular chorus rehersal night. Donny, our director, made a brief announcement to the chorus about my situation. This week, I'll return. Singing helps...so does the brotherly fellowship and support I get there.

Do I have enough help:

  • I was telling the hospice nurse yesterday: "We're probably less in need of help that your average clients". Beside the live in family (My son Tim, Veronica, his wife, and Jordan and Jonny their teenage children) I now have my son Rick (a former CNA) as a full-time helper. Just last night, my son (and co-editor) Steve flew in from San Francisco for some time with "Mom". So we have a house full.
  • And speaking of hospice home care, they really provide an amazing amount of help. Besides equipment of all kinds, they have nurses, massage therapists, bathing assistance, housekeeping help, spiritual counseling, and more. Next time they are here, I'll ask about leaf raking. (I call this place "Five Oaks" for a reason.) Oh, never mind, that's Jonny's job.

Can you visit:

  • Yes, you can. At a minimum, call a hour or so ahead of time...a day before might be even better. (253 854-5725). Even with that, it is possible you may have to wait downstairs for a hospice care person to finish a visit.

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with Bettie, you, Steve, and your entire family. I am looking forward to meeting such a loving family soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dick. Looks like you have all your bases covered. It's a wonderful blessing to have your children so involved with their Mom.
    I wish I wasn't so far away, but knowing her needs are well taken care of is another blessing.

    Our thoughts and prayers are with your entire family daily. Please keep us updated.
    Wayne and Mary Ann
    PS...the plasma TV is an excellent idea for her.

    ReplyDelete