Friday, November 20, 2009

More, Since You Asked...

As Garrison Keillor would say, "It's been a quiet week..." We have made, and continue to make, our petitions to her creator...so now we wait. Meanwhile, Bettie is pretty much unchanged from last week's post.

It had been quite a while since we tried any flash card reading like we did when therapy was the order of the day. So yesterday and again today I asked her to tell me what the word was on each of about 20 flash cards the speech therapist had left with us. She used to get between 5 and 15 of them correct. Now her score is zero. It may be the pain medication making it even more difficult to find the right word, I don't know. Anyway, I don't think I'll be trying that anymore.

Speaking of pain, that is a real difficult thing to deal with when the patient cannot verbalize with any predictable accuracy, just what she's feeling. It's kind of a loose, loose situation: You either have pain with alertness or comfort with fuzziness. I'm choosing comfort for her, but there is less interaction as a result. We still have our close moments, but I'm glad I've told her all I really feel I need to. I'm not going to wish later that I had said something more. At least that is one good thing that this protracted decline has given us: time to say goodbye.

Another difficult thing to deal with is guilt...or if not guilt then something close to it. For example, after ending the previous paragraph with "goodbye" I'm wondering: "Have I given up on faith? How does that look to our many friends who are praying, and here I am saying goodbye?" Then there's the desire to have her suffering come to and end, but what does that really mean I'm desiring? That kind of stuff goes through my mind all the time. However, I'm sure these issues are very typical of all hospice caregivers, and that's some consolation.

Bettie has had a number of visitors the past week, and though often not verbally responsive, she seems to enjoy most of them. I say most, because some old and dear friends bring a tearful response from her. I'm not sure why, but it passes and the sun comes out again.

One final note: The other day we received a card from the Auburn Regional Medical Center, Acute Rehab Unit. It was signed by eighteen members of the staff there. Not just signed actually...they each wrote a brief note of love, support and prayer for Bettie. It seems she made quite an impression during the month of July in which she was a resident there. (See the 40 posts for the month of July, for more details.) The card quite undid both of us as I read it to her. Thank you guys so much. This trial is not the kind of thing you want to attempt alone, and we surely are not alone!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Dick & Bettie,
    My heart is with you and I pray for quality of life for you both. May you be blessed & your family is awesome. Thanks for sharing your heart with the world.
    Love,
    Barb Miles

    ReplyDelete