Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Date with "New" Bettie

Several times in the week before coming home I asked Bettie if she would like to go to church next week. Each time she quite adamantly said: "No", with an expression that said: "How could you ask such a thing." I'm not sure just what the issue is, but she clearly is not ready. I went alone again.

Speaking of church, a couple of weeks ago, Art Palecek, the Associate Pastor, announced to the congregation that Bettie's clot had dissolved. I was unsuccessful in getting his attention to correct him...the doctor didn't say that. In fact the doctor said the clot is likely a permanent fixture. Blood is flowing around it, but it is still there. However, if you read the post: A Follow Up With Dr. Heide you know that there is a good chance that Pastor Art was right after all. We'll find out more this week (on Wednesday and Thursday) when more definitive scans are performed. Where do you suppose Pastor Art is getting his information. Hmmm.

When I arrived home, I found Bettie with Veronica and Jordan on the front deck having lunch at the big table under the awning. Later, we took a nap and then, about 4:00 o'clock, I coaxed a "Yes" out of her to have a dinner date with me.

I had received a $50 dinning card for The Cheesecake Factory for Fathers Day, so off we went to cash-in. Though she was a little apprehensive about it at first, she did just fine.

Soon, a couple took the table next to ours. The gentleman was Captain Mike McCoy, with Tukwila Fire Dept. I asked him if he was a 911 responder. He confirmed that he was. I thanked him for his service, and told him that it was people like him that took care of Bettie that fateful morning (June 23rd), and that I have a great respect for people that do what he does. He seemed pleased and, I hope, honored...that's what I intended: "Honor to whom honor is due".

All in all, it was a lovely evening...my first date with the New Bettie.

No comments:

Post a Comment