Sunday, August 16, 2009

And Now, for Something Completly Different

Yes, I confess, I was a "Monty Python" fan...thus, the title.

When Bettie's stroke occurred on June 23rd, I was about three weeks into a rigorous rehearsal schedule for a series of August performances of Meredith Wilson's wonderful musical "Music Man". I had auditioned for and been awarded a role in the barbershop quartet (known in the play as "The School Board"). Though I sing in Northwest Sound Men's Chorus, I have never performed in real stage drama. When I heard of the opening, I couldn't resist giving it a try.

Rehearsals were Sunday through Thursday evening from 7 to 10, beginning in mid June and going through the first performance on August 7th. Though all cast members were not required at every rehearsal, it was a very big commitment. So you're thinking: "I wonder how much they have to pay people to do that?" The answer: nothing, and that's what I love about it.

The production company that is putting this on is Twelfth Night Productions, founded and directed by Mary Springer. Over the years they have done a variety of productions, usually two to four each year, and this summer, it is Music Man. Though it is all volunteer, it is not amateurish. Read all about them on their web site.

Naturally, I had to resign from my role when the stroke occurred, but I remained on the e-mail list of the company. Thus, I know how hard they all worked to put on this show. I had told Mary that I wanted to bring Bettie, if she was able by the time the performances began. She set aside two tickets for me, from a sold-out house...I couldn't miss it.

Try as I might, I could not convince Bettie to come. She was quite adamant, like she is about going to church, that she would not come. She's just not ready. Veronica attended with me, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now I'm not a theater reviewer, so I'll leave that to others. But I am someone who appreciates things "American"...and this is, for my money, as American as it gets. Here you have dozens and dozens of people donating huge amounts of time and talent to give their neighborhood, their society, something good, happy, and entertaining. Not doing it for money, but for the sheer joy of doing it, and doing it the very best they could. Trust me: they succeeded. (Here's a video of the curtain call.)

I said they were not paid...that's not exactly true. I saw the pay on their faces out front after the show. Mary Springer's pay was running down her cheeks as I thanked her for her immeasurable efforts and told her that I would do this blog for the show, in case next weekend is not sold out.

So if you find an opening in your calendar next weekend (Friday and Saturday at 7:30 and Sunday at 3:00 - West Seattle High School Theater) you will see a slice of America at its finest.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That was great!
    (It was also nice seeing you and Veronica in the video :)

    ReplyDelete