Friday, March 19, 2010

Moving On, Part 1

Occasionally I look back over posts I made to this blog in its first days. Being plunged into a pit of these proportions is like a novice pilot flying into a dark cloud, having had virtually no training on instrument flying. (Something I'm embarrassed to say I've done...but only once!)

Consumed with the daily coping with a new reality, it is only in hind sight that one realizes the scope of the predicament they are in. In "The First 24 Hours", I dutifully reported what was "working" and what was not. I think it was only after Bettie died, that I began to realize things that were not working in me. Things that hadn't "worked" since that fateful June day.

It seems like so long ago now, it is hard to remember what "normal" was like in early June of last year. Being in a love relationship of fifty-years, I never had occasion to think what it would be like to loose the sensations of loving and being loved in return.

Like a back-up power supply kicking in when the main source is interrupted, I switched from loving like a husband to loving like a care-giver. People do this all the time. Our nightly news is filled with stories of tragedies, each of them requiring this same instant role-changing on the part of the affected family members. It's part of being human. And it takes its toll.

It was obvious from the start of our trial that I was not going to be loved like before. What was not so obvious was that I was not going to love like before either. Care-giving love is different. It is an honor to be able to minister to someone so needy, to care for every physical need, and all of that...but it is not anything like "normal" in a marriage.

What I discovered at the end of it, was I was starved for the love and affection that Bettie simply was no longer capable of giving as she had so faithfully before her stroke. But I was equally needy in the area of giving love to someone the way I had grown accustomed to doing for all those years. These two needs: to love and to be loved had now gone unmet for many months.

Bettie and I had discussed what each would do in the event of the death of the other, some years ago. She said she probably wouldn't remarry and I said I probably would. After that, she didn't want to discuss the issue anymore. Well, who would?

In her last month, I would occasionally wonder what I was going to do, but even the thought seemed inappropriate. After she died, it didn't seem much more appropriate, not to mention all the other considerations:
  • How will this look?
  • How long is appropriate?
  • What about the kids opinions?
  • What about grieving?
  • Could I even be attracted to anyone?
  • I'm so old, who'd want me?
Some of the thoughts one goes through are serious, some are silly, but all are real. One of the best things I did as I fumbled about in my numbed mind, was to confide my dilemma to a good friend, a woman who knew and loved Bettie. How comforting for her to tell me, "Dick, you're vulnerable right now. Go slow. Take your time. There are thousands of women out there that would be attracted to you. Don't worry, I've got your back". OK...whatever. It is still a dilemma.

At some point after we buried Bettie I remember saying to the family, all gathered for a lunch: "There are two great understatements in the Bible: 'Death is an enemy' and 'It is not good for man to be alone'. Please comment on the second one." After some discussion, my son-in-law Mike said: "Dick, it sounds like you are asking for permission".

I gave him the charades clue for "on the nose". Yea, I guess I was. I have since concluded that grieving and "moving on", if that's what I can call what we're talking about here, don't necessarily have to be consecutive. To some extant, they can be concurrent. I don't have to finish grieving before seeking companionship. In fact, the right companion could actually help with grieving. But some of it must be done alone. Probably a lot of it. Frankly, this is complicated stuff, so don't be too quick to pass judgment.

For the sake of my kids, I wanted to be circumspect in this. As I'd been told: "You can have another wife, we can't have another mother." I sent them all a message: "Thoughts on Moving On". It is too long to repeat here, but I simply outlined a lot of these thoughts and promised to go slow and be careful. After several days with little response, I thought I'd lighten up the issue so I sent them this follow-up e-mail message:
"While not everyone has chimed in on my 'Thoughts on Moving On' e-mail, no one so far has come up with the correct response…so I'll give it to you. The correct response: 'Dad, whatever you want to do, whoever you want to do it with, and when, is just fine with us. We just ask one small favor before you move ahead, OK? Just do a Google search for 'How long after death before dating?' Please read each of the results that comes up…then go have your fun'."
At the bottom of the message I put this P.S. "When I ran that search it came up with 29,100,000 results. Assuming I could read each one in a minute and could read without sleeping, it would only take 55 years :-)"
That did lighten the issue, though it is still tender with them. Needless to say, I'm not waiting 55 years, nor am I engaged. But I am somewhere in between. Next time I'll tell you how I got here...stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, tender is a good word to describe us. It is a challenge to remember what life was like BS (before stroke), but when I do it is sweet. Last year about this time I took Bettie shopping for her 50th wedding anniversary dress. We picked out two complete ensembles, took them home so that she could model them for you and let you pick out your favorite outfit. Once again she put you and your desires before her own. This is how I choose to remember Bettie.

    Thanks for sharing where you are in your process with this tender heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim Aitkins EdwardsMarch 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM

    Tender is a good way to describe it. The word I have used for myself is raw. It hurts so bad to have my mom gone, and not an hour goes by that I don't think about her. It does seem to be getting somewhat better though, as it's been maybe two weeks since I've awakened myself from sleep crying and then unable to get back to sleep.
    And I am moving - not necessarily moving on, but I am moving. During the past eight months I did put on some additional weight with all the stress and weekly travel to be with and help care for her. Lately I have been unusually motivated to be out walking every day, rain or sun (mom, is that you getting me going every day?) I take my dog and we go anywhere from 2 1/2 to 5 miles walking all around our neighborhood. I'm eating better and feeling better physically, but my heart still aches terribly.

    ReplyDelete